Fireworks Safety!

Independence Day fireworks and celebrations are a must for celebrating our country’s annual birthday, but fireworks can also cause many serious injuries if precautions are not used. The most common fireworks-related injuries seen in emergency rooms involve children under 14 with burn injuries to the hands, eyes, and head or face. Sparklers, fountains, and novelty fireworks account for one-third of emergency room firework injuries seen each year.

Given these risks, if your family chooses to do fireworks this year, please remember to use a little common sense and follow these safety tips:

  • Read the labels and follow all warnings and instructions.
  • Always have an adult present and never allow children to play with fireworks.
  • Light fireworks only on a smooth, flat surface, away from houses and flammable materials.
  • If you are lighting fireworks, protect your eyes by wearing safety goggles.
  • Stand in a safe place and keep people out of range before lighting fireworks.
  • Never re-light a “dud” firework, wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
  • Never throw or point fireworks at someone.
  • Always have water handy- keep a bucket of water or a hose nearby.

 

In talking with our Emergency Room providers, they recommend the following, “If you have an accident & get burned the first step is to cool the burn, any way possible. Simple, small burns do well with soap, water, burn ointment, & a bandage. More serious burns & burns to the eyes, head, or neck need to be checked by a provider, as soon as possible!”

The good news is that if used properly, fireworks can be safe and fun for the holidays. We hope that everyone in our community has a safe Independence Day weekend and avoids any unnecessary trips to our emergency room. We recommend that the safest way to enjoy fireworks is to attend one of the area’s professional fireworks display, the effects will be better and safer.

 Power County Hospital District wishes everyone a safe and joyous 4th of July Celebration!

Close
loading...