November 5, 2019 Hospital Bond Information…
The Power County Hospital District appreciates the immense support of the community in passing the bond in 2017 that has enabled the update to the aging facility. These ongoing renovations have already changed and added many exciting new opportunities that will allow providers and staff to offer better health care to patients. Unfortunately, the economy changed since project estimates began in 2016 and construction costs increased an unexpected 25% making completion of the original plans unattainable within the current budget.
The Board of Trustees are now providing the community the opportunity to finish the original renovations with a capital bond for $2.95 million dollars on the November 5, 2019 ballot. The cost to taxpayers for this 20-year bond will be $20.61 per $100,000 (or .2061 per $1000)of assessed property value, after homeowner exemption, per year. The renovations that will be completed with this funding include:
- NEW physical, occupational, speech therapy building.
- Update north entrance lobby for nursing home services.
- Update south entrance/canopy for hospital and emergency services.
- Completion of upper east hospital wing for billing & administration functions.
- Landscaping around the facility.
- Updates to aging equipment, including the pharmacy, elevator, kitchen fridge-freezer, patient beds & furniture.
Why Do We Need the Extra Money Now?
- The area economy changed drastically from 2016 estimates for the bond to the 2018 bidding of the project- an unexpected 25% increase!
- It’s cheaper to finish the project while we have the crews here if completed now! As construction costs continue to rise, it will not get any cheaper than now to get it all done!
- We have made several cuts to the project to stay on budget, but it cannot all get done without additional funding. Fortunately with interest rates and growth, this additional bond AND the original hospital bond together are still within the estimated original cost of $100 per $100,000 of assessed value for taxpayers!
We invite the community to please come to one of our Open House Tours to see the exciting progress of the renovations and learn more about the bond that is needed to complete the project.
- October 24 from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. with light luncheon provided!
- October 31 from 4:30-7:30 p.m. with hot cocoa and Halloween trick-or-treating!