Time to Finish…Building a Healthier Community!
The Power County Hospital District ran a bond in the November election for $2.95 million dollars to finish the renovation project currently in progress. It received a 55% approval, but needs 67% to pass for secured funding. The PCHD Board of Trustees are now reviewing options, costs, and schedules to analyze the option to run another bond in May 2020 to finish the construction project. Items that have been cut from the project and need additional funds to complete include: NEW physical, occupational, speech therapy building, Updates to the north and south entrances, completion of upper east hospital wing for billing & administration functions, landscaping around the facility, updates to aging equipment in the pharmacy, elevator, kitchen fridge-freezer, patient beds/furniture, etc. If you have questions or suggestions about the project and funding, please contact a Board member or Administrator Dallas Clinger at 226-3200.
Why the Extra Money?
- The area economy changed drastically from 2016 estimates for the bond to the 2018 actual bidding of the project- an unexpected 25% increase!
- It’s cheaper to finish the project while we have the crews here if completed soon! As construction costs continue to rise, it will not get any cheaper than now to get it all done!
- We have already made several cuts to the project to stay on budget and complete as much of the patient areas as we can, but it cannot all get done without additional funding.
In the winter of 2016, the Power County Hospital District Board of Trustees and Administration strategic planning outlined the proposal to begin pursuing preliminary plans and drawings for a total renovation of the 55 year-old CAH hospital and Skilled Nursing Facility. The Administration and staff began the crusade to secure a community capital renovation bond in the Summer of 2016 to secure the funds for the estimated $15.25 million dollar project.
The first community bond failed in November 2016 with a 59.78% approval, but needed a supermajority 66.6%. The second bond election was held in May 2017 with a 69% approval from the community for $14.95 million dollars of the renovation cost ($100 per $100k of assessed value to taxpayers) and the District to make up the difference for a total project of $15.25 million. The Board and Administration then moved forward in 2017 with the sale of the community bonds, architect drawings, and construction phasing preparations. Construction bid packages went out in spring 2018 for the project. The architect firm used on this project is Myers-Anderson from Pocatello and the Construction Manager company selected was Construction Services, Inc. from Pocatello. We are excited to be working with both companies and their strong local ties to our area to do our community proud with this project!
The District started Phase 1 in January 2018 with the remodel of the new X-ray room. The room was updated with new flooring, walls, systems, and included the installation of a new digital, wireless X-ray system- state of the art and a first in our region! May 2018 kicked-off things with a bang and lots of excavation work to the property to prepare for new additions and updates. The following work is now completed as part of Phase 1:
- The X-ray room was completed gutted and updated along with the addition of new digital imaging technology!
- Retaining walls were added to the Southeast side of the property.
- New cables, fiber, power, and plumbing systems were installed with the excavation work.
- The upper parking lot area was excavated, expanded, and recently opened in October 2018.
- A new machine room/shop and upper Laboratory were added.
- The first 3 hospital rooms in the East wing were fully renovated for inpatient and outpatient services, and completed for patient use in October 2018.
- The West side of the property was excavated for pillars and work to come for a new covered parking garage and elevated helipad.
All of the Phase 2 areas were completed by the end of November including the following elements and areas:
- New helipad opened the end of July and continues to be available for use with emergency air transfers.
- New parking garage is now complete (10/10/19) and available for visitor, patient or staff parking.
- The front lower parking lot is also complete for use (10/10/19). This is a one-way traffic drive through from Gifford to Roosevelt Street now.
- Renovations of the east upper floor with NEW laboratory and offices is now completed for use.
- New main mechanical systems are now installed for operation (electrical, plumbing, computer, medical gas, fire suppression, etc.) As we move forward with renovating other areas, we will tie-in to the new system to update everything in the building by the end of the project.
- 13 of the 21 New Nursing Home rooms are now complete for resident use along with a new family room and beauty room.
- 7 of the 10 new private hospital rooms are now complete for patient use along with a new central supply, emergency room, and nurse station completion.
Phase 3… now starting
Phase 3 is already underway to continue updating old areas of the facility. Most of the outside site work is now completed for the project with some elements on the outside of the building to be done in spring/summer 2020. Areas now being renovated include:
- New Nursing Home nurses station, staff offices, and completion of more resident private rooms.
- New ER and OP entrance with admission’s offices.
- New large emergency room, exam room, pharmacy, and radiology suite area.
The District wishes to thank the community for its patience during this project and continued support with the use of services. We are still open 24-7 during this time to take care of your healthcare needs! We know it has been challenging throughout this project, but the results will be a better facility for patients, providers, staff and the community. Check back regularly to see the continued progress as we build for better services and a healthier community! If you have any questions regarding the renovations, need help with access, or would like a tour of the area, please call Dallas or Jackie at 208-226-3200.