Time to Finish…Building a Healthier Community!
November 2019 Bond…
The Power County Hospital District appreciates the immense support of the community in passing the bond in 2017 that has enabled the update to the aging facility. These ongoing renovations have already changed and added many exciting new opportunities that will allow providers and staff to offer better health care to patients. Unfortunately, the economy changed since project estimates began in 2016 and construction costs increased an unexpected 25% making completion of the original plans unattainable within the current budget.
The Board of Trustees are now providing the community the opportunity to finish the original renovations with a capital bond for $2.95 million dollars on the November 5, 2019 ballot. The cost to taxpayers for this 20-year bond will be $20.61 per $100,000 (or .2061 per $1000)of assessed property value, after homeowner exemption, per year. The renovations that will be completed with this funding include:
- NEW physical, occupational, speech therapy building.
- Update north entrance lobby for nursing home services.
- Update south entrance/canopy for hospital and emergency services.
- Completion of upper east hospital wing for billing & administration functions.
- Landscaping around the facility.
- Updates to aging equipment, including the pharmacy, elevator, kitchen fridge-freezer, patient beds & furniture.
Why Do We Need the Extra Money Now?
- The area economy changed drastically from 2016 estimates for the bond to the 2018 bidding of the project- an unexpected 25% increase!
- It’s cheaper to finish the project while we have the crews here if completed now! As construction costs continue to rise, it will not get any cheaper than now to get it all done!
- We have made several cuts to the project to stay on budget, but it cannot all get done without additional funding. Fortunately with interest rates and growth, this additional bond AND the original hospital bond together are still within the estimated original cost of $100 per $100,000 of assessed value for taxpayers!
We invite the community to please come to one of our Open House Tours to see the exciting progress of the renovations and learn more about the bond that is needed to complete the project.
- October 24 from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. with light luncheon provided!
- October 31 from 4:30-7:30 p.m. with hot cocoa and Halloween trick-or-treating!
In the winter of 2016, the Power County Hospital District Board of Trustees and Administration strategic planning outlined the proposal to begin pursuing preliminary plans and drawings for a total renovation of the 55 year-old CAH hospital and Skilled Nursing Facility. The Administration and staff began the crusade to secure a community capital renovation bond in the Summer of 2016 to secure the funds for the estimated $15.25 million dollar project.
The first community bond failed in November 2016 with a 59.78% approval, but needed a supermajority 66.6%. The second bond election was held in May 2017 with a 69% approval from the community for $14.95 million dollars of the renovation cost ($100 per $100k of assessed value to taxpayers) and the District to make up the difference for a total project of $15.25 million. The Board and Administration then moved forward in 2017 with the sale of the community bonds, architect drawings, and construction phasing preparations. Construction bid packages went out in spring 2018 for the project. The architect firm used on this project is Myers-Anderson from Pocatello and the Construction Manager company selected was Construction Services, Inc. from Pocatello. We are excited to be working with both companies and their strong local ties to our area to do our community proud with this project!
The District started Phase 1 in January 2018 with the remodel of the new X-ray room. The room was updated with new flooring, walls, systems, and included the installation of a new digital, wireless X-ray system- state of the art and a first in our region! May 2018 kicked-off things with a bang and lots of excavation work to the property to prepare for new additions and updates. The following work is now completed as part of Phase 1:
- The X-ray room was completed gutted and updated along with the addition of new digital imaging technology!
- Retaining walls were added to the Southeast side of the property.
- New cables, fiber, power, and plumbing systems were installed with the excavation work.
- The upper parking lot area was excavated, expanded, and recently opened in October 2018.
- A new machine room/shop and upper Laboratory were added.
- The first 3 hospital rooms in the East wing were fully renovated for inpatient and outpatient services, and completed for patient use in October 2018.
- The West side of the property was excavated for pillars and work to come for a new covered parking garage and elevated helipad.
Phase 2… nearly complete!
Phase 2 will be completed in all areas by mid-November with the following being completed for scheduled move-ins, after state inspections and occupancy approval is complete:
- The new helipad opened the end of July and continues to be available for use with emergency air transfers.
- The new parking garage is now complete (10/10/19) and available for visitor, patient or staff parking!
- The front lower parking lot is also complete for use (10/10/19). This is a one-way traffic drive through from Gifford to Roosevelt Street now.
- Renovations of the East upper floor with NEW laboratory and offices is complete and state occupancy approved. The various departments are now moving to the new area and will be available for use by 10/18/19 or sooner.
- The base of the new main mechanical systems are now installed for operation (electrical, plumbing, computer, medical gas, fire suppression, etc.) As we move forward with renovating other areas, we will tie-in to the new system to update everything in the building by the end of the project!
- The NEW Nursing Home rooms are nearly complete and awaiting state occupancy approval. We anticipate moving residents to the new area by the end of October!
- Renovations of the new hospital wing are progressing quickly! This final area with new private hospital rooms, central supply, emergency room, and nurse station is anticipated to be open for patient use by the end of November.
The District wishes to thank the community for its patience during this project and continued support with the use of services. We are still open 24-7 during this time to take care of your healthcare needs! We know it has been challenging throughout this project, but the results will be a better facility for patients, providers, staff and the community. Check back regularly to see the continued progress as we build for better services and a healthier community! If you have any questions regarding the renovations, need help with access, or would like a tour of the area, please call Dallas or Jackie at 208-226-3200.