Power County Hospital District Renovation Project
In the winter of 2016, the Power County Hospital District Board of Trustees and Administration strategic planning outlined the proposal to begin pursuing preliminary plans and drawings for a total renovation of the 55 year-old CAH hospital and Skilled Nursing Facility. The Administration and staff began the crusade to secure a community capital renovation bond in the Summer of 2016 to secure the funds for the estimated $15.25 million dollar project.
The first community bond failed in November 2016 with a 59.78% approval, but needed a supermajority 66.6%. The second bond election was held in May 2017 with a 69% approval from the community for $14.95 million dollars of the renovation cost and the District to make up the difference for a total project of $15.25 million. The Board and Administration then moved forward in 2017 with architect drawings and construction phasing preparations. Construction bid packages went out in spring 2018 for the project. The architect firm used on this project is Myers-Anderson from Pocatello and the Construction Management company selected was Construction Services, Inc. from Pocatello. We are excited to be working with both companies and their strong local ties to our area to do our community proud with this project!
The District started Phase 1 in January 2018 with the remodel of the new X-ray room. The room was completely updated with including the installation of a new digital, wireless X-ray system- state of the art and a first in our region! May 2018 kicked-off things with a bang and lots of excavation work to the property. The following work is now completed as part of Phase 1:
- The X-ray room was completed gutted and updated along with the addition of new digital imaging technology!
- Retaining walls were added to the Southeast side of the property.
- New cables, fiber, power, and plumbing systems were installed with the excavation work.
- The upper parking lot area was excavated, expanded, and recently opened in October 2018.
- A new machine room/shop and upper Laboratory were added.
- The first 3 hospital rooms in the East wing were fully renovated for inpatient and outpatient services, and completed for patient use in October 2018.
- The West side of the property was excavated for pillars and work to come for a new covered parking garage and elevated helipad.
All of the Phase 2 areas were completed by the end of November 2019 including the following elements and areas:
- New helipad opened the end of July and continues to be available for use with emergency air transfers.
- New parking garage is now complete (10/10/19) and available for visitor, patient or staff parking.
- The front lower parking lot is also complete for use (10/10/19). This is a one-way traffic drive through from Gifford to Roosevelt Street now.
- Renovations of the east upper floor with NEW laboratory and offices is now completed for use.
- New main mechanical systems are now installed for operation (electrical, plumbing, computer, medical gas, fire suppression, etc.) As we move forward with renovating other areas, we will tie-in to the new system to update everything in the building by the end of the project.
- 13 of the 21 New Nursing Home rooms are now complete for resident use along with a new family room and beauty room.
- 7 of the 10 new private hospital rooms are now complete for patient use along with a new central supply, emergency room, and nurse station completion.
All of Phase 3 was completed in spring 2020, renovations include:
- New Nursing Home nurses station, staff offices, and completion of more resident private rooms.
- New ER entrance with admission offices.
- New larger double emergency room, exam room, and pharmacy.
- Complete exterior work around the property and brickwork to the building & sidewalks for the nursing home patio area.
Phase 4… due to the COVID-19 precautions, construction has been delayed in these areas, but continues as quickly as we can with the remaining general bond funds. Not all areas in the original project can be completed due to rising construction costs that were above build estimates in 2016, but hospital operations have been good the last fiscal year and the board approved using operational funds to complete some areas that were previously cut in the project. Final areas being worked on to complete by March 2021 include:
- Radiology suite
- Finish final hospital & ICU/Observation rooms
- Main Kitchen & Cafeteria updates
- Central Supply update
- Nursing Home dining room, living room area
- Nursing Home final resident room renovations
- Lobby with Pink Lady gift Shop
- ER entrance canopy addition
The District wishes to thank the community for its patience during this project and continued support with the use of services. We are still open 24-7 during this time to take care of your healthcare needs! We know it has been challenging throughout this project, but the results will be a better facility for patients, providers, staff and the community. Check back regularly to see the continued progress as we build for better services and a healthier community! If you have any questions regarding the renovations, need help with access, please call 208-226-3200.