Building a Healthier Community!
In the winter of 2016, the Power County Hospital District Board of Trustees and Administration strategic planning outlined the proposal to begin pursuing preliminary plans and drawings for a total renovation of the 55 year-old CAH hospital and Skilled Nursing Facility. The Administration and staff began the crusade to secure a community capital renovation bond in the Summer of 2016 to secure the funds for the $15.25 million dollar project.
The first community bond failed in November 2016 with a 59.78% approval, but needing a supermajority 66.6%. The second bond election was held in May 2017 with a 69% approval from the community for $14.95 million dollars of the renovation cost and the District to make up the difference. The Board and Administration then moved forward in 2017 with the sale of the community bonds, architect drawings, and construction phasing preparations. The architect firm used on this project is Myers-Anderson from Pocatello and the Construction Manager company selected was Construction Services, Inc. from Pocatello. We are excited to work with both companies and their strong local ties to our area to do our community proud with this project!
The District started Phase 1 in January 2018 with the remodel of the new X-ray room. The room was updated with new flooring, walls, systems, and included the installation of a new digital, wireless X-ray system- state of the art and a first in our region! May 2018 kicked-off things with a bang and lots of excavation work to the property to prepare for new additions and updates. The following work is now completed as part of Phase 1:
- Retaining walls were added to the Southeast side of the property.
- New cables, fiber, power, and plumbing systems were installed with the excavation work.
- The upper parking lot area was excavated, expanded, and recently opened in October 2018.
- A new machine room/shop and upper Laboratory were added.
- The first 3 hospital rooms in the East wing were fully renovated for inpatient and outpatient services, and completed for patient use in October 2018.
- The West side of the property was excavated for pillars and work to come for a new covered parking garage and elevated helipad.
Phase 2…Starting Now
We are now starting Phase 2 in full force with continued phasing and work planned through the winter months. The next phase of the project will include the following:
- East upper floor demolition and renovations for new offices, chapel, and laboratory access.
- Renovation completion of the new laboratory and machine rooms.
- Installation of new electrical panels, systems, and new generator.
- Demolition of the upper West wing for renovations to come of the hospital rooms, new nurses station, and central supply areas.
- Weather permitting, work will continue to be done on the NEW East addition with flooring and precast walls; along with helipad and parking garage construction.
The District wishes to thank the community for its patience during this project and continued support with the use of services. We are still open 24-7 during this time to take care of your healthcare needs! We know it will be a challenge throughout this two-year project, but the results will be a better facility for patients, providers, staff and the community. Check back regularly to see the continued progress as we build for a better services and a healthier community! If you have any questions regarding the renovations or need help with access, please call 208-226-3200.