February is American Heart Month AND Valentines Day is quickly approaching, so why not make them a heart-healthy romantic dinner to celebrate both occasions! Impress your sweetheart and get a babysitter, break out the tablecloths, candles, and the china that you never use and plan a simple heart-healthy menu to enjoy a quiet evening at home together. Make your grocery list and consider these easy options to help you plan the perfect heart healthy meal for your sweetheart:
A Perfect Heart Healthy Meal:
- Wine- Red Wine
- Drank in moderation, red wine, full of antioxidants has been shown as beneficial for heart health and cholesterol in many studies. Choose a low-sugar option.
- Appetizer- Stuffed Mushrooms
- Stuff your mushrooms with a mix of light cheeses and chopped veggies. Vegetables are full of vitamins, minerals for a healthy heart and body.
- Salad- Spinach or Mixed Greens Salad
- The salad options are endless- choose your favorite or try something new loaded with different greens, nuts, fruits or veggies and select a light dressing option.
- Main Dish- Baked fish (salmon, trout, tuna, shrimp)
- Baking fish is easy, fast and it’s full of protein and omega 3 fatty acids that are good for the heart! Choose a simple sugar-free sauce or light broth with lemon to bake it in.
- Side Dish- Roasted Vegetables & Potatoes
- Make the dinner even easier to prepare by roasting your choice of diced veggies with the main fish or a chicken dish! Try asparagus, squash varieties, or even potatoes that are high in potassium and good for your blood pressure.
- Dessert- Brownies
- Try some ooey-gooey brownies made with heart-healthy dark chocolate and use avocados or substitute applesauce for less sugar! A dark chocolate fondue with lots of yummy fruit is also a tasty-healthy options!
There are lots more menus to be explored on the internet for a tasty AND healthy romantic dinner. Tie on that apron and when preparing your meal, go light on the use of oils, butter and salt- this will help keep those arteries healthy and clear. Check out the Hospital Facebook page this month for more heart healthy recipe links too.
Enjoy your meal and make a plan to eat right, exercise together, and protect your hearts with regular blood pressure and cholesterol checks and an annual physical to ensure a long life that will be shared together! Power County Hospital District wishes you all a Happy Valentine’s Day and Healthy Heart Month!