Power County Hospital staff and providers want to remind parents about the upcoming Poison Prevention Week! More than 2 million poisonings are reported each year to the 61 Poison Control Centers across the country. More than 90% of these poisonings occur in the home and the majority of non-fatal poisonings occur with children younger than six. Poisonings are also one of the leading causes of death among older adults. To poison proof your home from various potential dangers, remember the following suggestions:
- Medicines– Keep them in their original containers, properly labeled, and store them appropriately and out of reach from children.
- Carbon monoxide- Have a working carbon monoxide detector in your home. The best places for a CO detector are near bedrooms and close to furnaces.
- Household products- Keep products in their original containers. Do not use food containers to store household cleaners and other chemicals. Keep all laundry products out of the reach of children
- Chemicals- Keep antifreeze and all chemicals and household products in their original containers.
- Art Supplies- Some art products are mixtures of chemicals and can be dangerous if ingested. Wash skin and areas well after use.
- Food- Wash hands and counters before preparing all food and store food at the proper temperatures.
- Animals/insects- Know what poisonous snakes or bugs live in our area and wear proper attire (boots, etc.) when hiking outdoors.
- Plants, mushrooms and berries- Be sure that everyone in your family can identify poisonous plants in our area- indoor and outdoor.
If you think someone has been poisoned from a medicine or household chemical, call 1-800-222-1222 for your Poison Control Center. This national toll-free number works from anyplace in the U.S. 24-hours-a-day, 7-days-a-week. We encourage you to keep the number on your mobile phone, to connect you to a poison control center during an emergency. The Poison Control Centers across the country maintain information for doctors or the public on recommended treatment for the ingestion of poisons. They are familiar with the toxicity (how poisonous) of most substances found in the home or know how to find this information for you.
Since 1961, the National Poison Prevention Council coordinates this annual national event to highlight the dangers of poisonings and how to prevent them. Check out the Power County Hospital Facebook page or website for tips and information to review the potential poisons around your home and take actions to ensure the safety of your family and loved ones!